Main Page | Shopping Cart | Purchase Information
WP 34S Scientific Calculator
The WP 34S is the most powerful scientific (non-graphing) calculator on the market. It is not an HP product, but it is rather a community-created product based on an existing HP calculator platform. The software of the 34S was written largely by Walter Bonin and Paul Dale, initially just as a PC program. Later, Marcus von Cube joined the team and made it run on the HP 20b/30b platform.
At this point, the WP 34S functionality is comparable to that of the long-discontinued HP 42S, but expanded significantly.
I have written instructions explaining how to make your own WP34S, but if you would like the work done for you, this package provides you with a full WP 34S calculator, with the following components:
- HP 30b calculator, for the best keyboard
- Clock crystal and required capacitors pre-installed
- Latest revision 3.x keyboard overlay pre-installed
- Latest 3.3 build of the firmware pre-flashed
- A $5 donation is given to the WP 34S team with the purchase of this product
This means I carefully open the calculator, solder in the components, and then close the calculator, with no damage to the case. Then I carefully attach the overlay sticker. Finally, I flash the latest version 3.3 ROM (from SVN), using the crystal version to include the stopwatch.
Note: For international deliveries, I can ship it by First Class Mail, reducing the shipping fee to around US$16 (instead of $27+). However, there is no tracking available with this shipping method. Please email me for details.
- 149 mm by 77 mm by 16 mm (5.87" by 3.03" by 0.63")
- 113 g (4.0 oz) with batteries
- Metallic-infused transparent faceplate with black vinyl keyboard overlay, textured gray slides and glossy black back
- Hard plastic keys with traditional HP "click" feedback
- Rigid synthetic case
- Based on HP part number NW238AA (Data Sheet)
- 2 line alphanumeric display (top line with 8 dot matrix characters and 11 indicators, bottom line with 12+3 digits) with adjustable contrast
- Atmel AT91SAM7L128 ARM7 processor (30 MHz)
- 6 KB RAM, 2 KB battery-backed
- 128 KB Flash ROM
- Two CR2032 batteries, providing 9 months of typical use
- 12 digits displayed with 3-digit exponent
- Clock crystal for accurate timing
- Traditional RPN (Reverse Polish Notation) with four-level or eight-level stack
- Serial port header behind battery door and JTAG connector (connects to AT91SAM-ICE) inside the calculator for developers
- RPN keystroke programmable à la HP-41 - up to 925 steps in RAM - numeric and/or alpha labels, thousands of steps burnable into flash banks.
- Externally programmable by developers via JTAG interface
- Euler's Beta and Riemann's Zeta functions, Bernoulli and Fibonacci numbers, Lambert's W, the error function as well as Chebyshev's, Hermite's, Laguerre's and Legendre's orthogonal polynomials, and testing for primality,
- many statistical distributions and their inverses like Poisson, Binomial, Geometric as well as Cauchy-Lorentz, Exponential, Logistic, Weibull for reliability analysis, Lognormal and Gaussian with arbitrary means and standard deviations,
- programmable sums and products, first and second derivatives,
- extended date and time calculations based on a real time clock,
- integer computing in arbitrary bases from binary to hexadecimal,
- financial operations like mean rate of return and margin calculations,
- 84 conversions, mainly between universal SI and old Imperial units,
- 50 fundamental physical constants as precise as known today by national standards institutes like NIST or PTB, plus some more out of mathematics, astronomy, and surveying,
- complete Greek and extended Latin letter fonts covering many languages on this planet (upper and lower case in two font sizes each).
- WP 34S Manual, 211 A4 pages, provided as a separate download
- Printed Manual, available for purchase separately (not included with this package)
Part of the HP Calculator Archive,
Copyright 1997-2015 Eric Rechlin.