Main Page | Shopping Cart | Purchase Information
As of May 2 I am a bit behind in fulfilling orders, after a hospitalization. Thank you for your patience.
WP 34S Scientific Calculator
Note: Because the HP 30b has been discontinued, I no longer have "perfect" units available. All 34S calculators that I am shipping now have a minor keyboard issue, where one or two of the keys takes more force to press than the others. If you are really picky it may be an issue, otherwise it is no worse than the other, less-than-perfect modern HP calculators, as this exemplifies the poor quality control of HP's current offerings.
The WP 34S is the most powerful scientific (non-graphing) calculator on the market. It is not an HP product, but it is rather a community-created product based on an existing HP calculator platform. The software of the 34S was written largely by Walter Bonin and Paul Dale, initially just as a PC program. Later, Marcus von Cube joined the team and made it run on the HP 20b/30b platform.
At this point, the WP 34S functionality is comparable to that of the long-discontinued HP 42S, but expanded significantly.
I have written instructions explaining how to make your own WP34S, but if you would like the work done for you, this package provides you with a full WP 34S calculator, with the following components:
- HP 30b calculator, for the best keyboard
- Clock crystal and required capacitors pre-installed
- Latest revision 3.x keyboard overlay pre-installed
- Latest 3.3 build of the firmware pre-flashed
- A $5 donation is given to the WP 34S team with the purchase of this product
This means I carefully open the calculator, solder in the components, and then close the calculator, with no damage to the case. Then I carefully attach the overlay sticker. Finally, I flash the latest version 3.3 ROM (from SVN), using the crystal version to include the stopwatch.
Note: For international deliveries, I can ship it by First Class Mail, reducing the shipping fee to around US$16 (instead of $27+). However, there is no tracking available with this shipping method. Please email me for details.
- 149 mm by 77 mm by 16 mm (5.87" by 3.03" by 0.63")
- 113 g (4.0 oz) with batteries
- Metallic-infused transparent faceplate with black vinyl keyboard overlay, textured gray slides and glossy black back
- Hard plastic keys with traditional HP "click" feedback
- Rigid synthetic case
- Based on HP part number NW238AA (Data Sheet)
- 2 line alphanumeric display (top line with 8 dot matrix characters and 11 indicators, bottom line with 12+3 digits) with adjustable contrast
- Atmel AT91SAM7L128 ARM7 processor (30 MHz)
- 6 KB RAM, 2 KB battery-backed
- 128 KB Flash ROM
- Two CR2032 batteries, providing 9 months of typical use
- 12 digits displayed with 3-digit exponent
- Clock crystal for accurate timing
- Traditional RPN (Reverse Polish Notation) with four-level or eight-level stack
- Serial port header behind battery door and JTAG connector (connects to AT91SAM-ICE) inside the calculator for developers
- RPN keystroke programmable à la HP-41 - up to 925 steps in RAM - numeric and/or alpha labels, thousands of steps burnable into flash banks.
- Externally programmable by developers via JTAG interface
- Euler's Beta and Riemann's Zeta functions, Bernoulli and Fibonacci numbers, Lambert's W, the error function as well as Chebyshev's, Hermite's, Laguerre's and Legendre's orthogonal polynomials, and testing for primality,
- many statistical distributions and their inverses like Poisson, Binomial, Geometric as well as Cauchy-Lorentz, Exponential, Logistic, Weibull for reliability analysis, Lognormal and Gaussian with arbitrary means and standard deviations,
- programmable sums and products, first and second derivatives,
- extended date and time calculations based on a real time clock,
- integer computing in arbitrary bases from binary to hexadecimal,
- financial operations like mean rate of return and margin calculations,
- 84 conversions, mainly between universal SI and old Imperial units,
- 50 fundamental physical constants as precise as known today by national standards institutes like NIST or PTB, plus some more out of mathematics, astronomy, and surveying,
- complete Greek and extended Latin letter fonts covering many languages on this planet (upper and lower case in two font sizes each).
- WP 34S Manual, 211 A4 pages, provided as a separate download
- Printed Manual, available for purchase separately (not included with this package)
Part of the HP Calculator Archive,
Copyright 1997-2015 Eric Rechlin.